NOTE: A Solemn High Mass is a Latin Mass offered by a priest who is assisted by a deacon and subdeacon.
I don't think I can describe to you how amazing this experience was: I had never attended a Solemn High Mass before this - and I was blown away by the sheer amount of reverence and respect that obviously the priest, deacon, and subdeacon had for what they were doing, but also the 10 altar boys (who were high school aged or younger) had for their roles. The true SACRIFICE of the Mass was definitely evident - it wasn't just a celebration to them.
Yesterday, I watched a video called Weapons of MASS Destruction produced by the cleverly named Catholic Investigative Agency on Real Catholic TV. The information presented in the video really struck a chord within me, especially given my recent experience with the Solemn High Mass. Much of it has to do with the "changes" instituted by Vatican II, and some of the information presented could be considered "conspiratorial" or "speculative." However, the material was extensively researched and the CIA offers all of their resources for people to read for themselves (something I'm in the process of doing) to formulate their own opinion, which makes it difficult to refute their position.
Essentially, the video talks about the Second Vatican Council and how the Mass was changed as the result of some very opinionated and convincing priests called periti (Italian for "expert"). Archbishop Annibale Bugnini was the most forward of these individuals. A document he wrote referred to as the Bugnini Schema became the first adopted constitution of the Council - Sacrosanctum Concilium. Some interesting things happened in the 1960s that I won't go into too much detail about here (if you watch the video or read up on it, you'll see) but basically, there's a school of thought that Bugnini's intentions all along were to destroy Catholicism from the inside - and the best way to do this was to attack it's highest form of prayer - the sacred Mass.
Whether this thought is true or not is, indeed, debatable. But seeing how the Mass was (i.e., my recent experience at the Solemn High Mass) compared to what we now call Mass today (the Novus Ordo, or the new ordinary), I can't help but think that there may be some truth behind the idea of destroying Mass as it was once known. What irks me though, is that as a 24 year old, I was just served up the Novus Ordo as THE proper form of Mass. I knew Mass was offered differently before I was born, but the Latin Mass was/is almost taboo. Thanks to Pope Benedict XVI and the Motu Propio he promulgated in 2007, this is changing.
Don't get me wrong - there are some really great Novus Ordo Masses, and there are many great and reverent priests who don't offer Mass in Latin for one reason or another. But, that said, there are some REALLY BAD Novus Ordos, and it's all because of the ambiguity of some of the most "important" documents that came out of the Second Vatican Council. My biggest gripe is the lack of reverence that is paid upon entering a Church and during Mass itself - I mean, it's Jesus's house! He's there - no, really He is! And people just schlep in with their stuff, don't pay Him any mind, and are just completely rude. Would you do that when you're going over to a friends house? Or your grandmas? I don't think so!
On top of that...Many altar servers today don't realize just how important their roles are during Mass. They act like it's a chore - but really, they're getting to assist the priest in offering the sacrifice of the Mass. What better privilege is there? Not much, I tell you.
Over the last 50 years, the Church has seen quite a bit of change - but at what cost? Vocations have been on the decline since the Council ended, more and more people are falling away from the faith, and there's alot less respect for the Church and what She stands for today than there was prior to the Council. Pope Benedict XVI is called the Pope of Christian Unity, and he's started a reform of the reform movement within the Church as well. Things have gotten off to a pretty great start under him, what with the Motu Propio and restoring Tradition, but my eyes have never been more open to the Truth than they are now.
This is just part 1. Must go and gather my thoughts again... until then, pax vobiscum!
+JMJ+
2 comments:
A very interesting and well stated position.
However, there are many Catholics who have never known anything but the Post Vatican II Church...they do not realize that there are other ways to celebrate Mass... They have no knowledge of the Latin Mass and therefore are frightened by the entire thought of anything "foreign"... and suffer from acute "head in the sand... ignorance is bliss" syndrome.
Altar servers are a reflection of the Parish and the adults who are responsible for their training or lack thereof. Many are servers to be seen...not to serve...and some have no real idea of their role or the responsibility that it entails. The fault lies with the Pastor, the Parish Leaders, and the parents of the servers... children and adults respond to the parameters and the expectations that are set for them... if there are none, then what can one expect?
Thanks for your comment, anonymous! I agree with all of your points, and my apologies if it came off as though I am privileging one Mass over the other... or if it seemed as though I was trying to discredit the Novus Ordo (Today's Mass). That wasn't my intention at all!
I think you've hit the nail on the head with the thought that there's a fault when little to no expectations or parameters are set for people. This is true in many contexts, but it is definitely true in the case of behavior in Church. That's all I was really interested in bringing light to - it doesn't matter how you worship: In Latin, in English; with a piano, guitar, or organ. But the RESPECT and REVERENCE for God and His true presence in any Catholic Church is what I was really aiming for!
Thanks again for your comments; and please, keep reading! :)
Post a Comment