Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happy Catholic Media Promotion Day!

In celebration of Catholic Media Promotion Day, a grassroots effort to promote the awesome work being done via social media in the Catholic Church, I want to share with you some of my favorite Catholic Media sources. (Check out CatholicMom for more information regarding Catholic Media Promotion Day!)

So here is my list of favorites:
  • Blog/Website: The Crescat - she's witty and sarcastic, but awesomely devout.
  • Podcast: The Busted Halo series - what I've been able to listen to has been truly fantastic! I wish I had more time to listen!
  • Book: Smoke in the Sanctuary by Stephen Oliver. A friend of mine let me borrow his copy and it was such a great read! It's mostly fictional, but very relatable! (If we're going for a non-fiction book, I found Pope Benedict and Peter Seewald's discussion in Light of the World to be a very inspirational book!)
  • Smartphone App: I don't have a smartphone (I know! I'm a media person and I'm using the old school cell phone..shameful!) but I've heard a bit about the iConfess app... I really want to look into it, and maybe study it. I'll keep you posted on what I think about doing with it.
  • "Traditional" Media Source: Whenever I'm in the "big city" closest to where I live, I try to tune into St. Gabriel Radio on 1580AM where volunteers, like my friend Dan, encourage you to pray daily for your Guardian Angel's help and intercession. 
  • And a little hidden gem: From Punk to Monk is another awesomely witty, down-to-earth guy who seems to keep a youthful and edgy feel to his blog. I've laughed on numerous occasions at some of his entries.. but always find myself thinking about how thought-provoking they really were!

So.. check these Catholic Media Sources out if you have a chance! Happy Catholic Media Promotion Day readers!

+JMJ+

4 comments:

Mary said...

As you know, I found Smoke in the Sanctuary quite depressing. After the initial hilarity, the tragic story line was too realistic.

I second your opinion on Punk to Monk, an awesome, entertaining, and (as you said) thought-provoking blog.

MCK said...

Yes I remember you saying that about Smoke. We practically lived it at my old parish in SC so I felt like I could relate. The end, though, yes is depressing.

Wooohoo for Punk to Monk!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the endorsement and the kind words!

MCK said...

Thanks for visiting Homeboy! Your blog cracks me up... but as I said, also proves to be very thought provoking! Thanks!!