At the conference, I was able to meet and "rub elbows" with some of the biggest names in Catholic New Media - Fr. Roderick Vonhagen was buzzing about all weekend, offering the opening remarks after concelebrating Mass Saturday morning (the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux) with Archbishop Coyne from Indianapolis. Fr. Jay Finelli, AKA iPadre from the Twitter/podcasting world, was easy to pick out all weekend in his cassock, assisting Archbishop Naumann with Liturgy of the Hours and offering Mass on Sunday morning. Author/bloggers Lisa Hendey and Brandon Vogt were on hand to sign their recent publications and to talk the biz with anyone and everyone. Jeff Geerling, Pat Gohn, and Matthew Warner gave talks and chatted with attendees during breaks. Sr. Anne Flanagan, AKA the Nunblogger, and Sean-Patrick Lovett from Vatican Radio (like legit, fresh off the plane from Italy) gave keynote addresses. The list goes on and on! I was in a state of awe all weekend.
E. Couple that with being in an environment where very few people actually understand what and why I'm studying what I study and you get a not-so-pleasant state of being. God answered my prayers of needing that extra boost to get into the main stages of my dissertation proposal through this conference - where Fr. Roderick announced in his opening remarks: "Our faith has to do with every dimension of human existence." That, my friends, was the key to the rest of the weekend, and it was what I needed to hear in order to get the job done. The word catholic means universal - and our faith really does have to do with every dimension of our existence.
The fruits of this conference will likely shine through my work for quite some time. I hope to take the theme of this conference - John Paul II's "Be not afraid" - and continue on the path that I know God set out for me. Yes, we're charting into the unknown, the great abyss that is new media... and it's a playground where the Church hasn't really set foot, hasn't really decided how She's going to take it. We're on the cusp of something great here though... we just have to "be not afraid" (JPII) and "cast our nets wide" (B16).
Until next time friends...
+JMJ+

No comments:
Post a Comment