Pope Benedict XVI Papal Coat of Arms
One thought was that interest in the Tridentine or Latin Mass would wane with the generation who had grown up with it (pre-1962), but it's been discovered that even today young people have felt an attraction to that Liturgy most specifically as opposed to Mass in the Ordinary Form.
I, for one, agree that Mass for me in the Extraordinary Form (EF) seems much more reverent. I'm more focused, perhaps because the prayers are all in Latin and you must pay attention in order to follow along, but also because the focus in this Mass (the EF) is not on the people so much but on the Divine. The priest doesn't face the people - we're not the center of attention (which is as it should be). Some people don't like this aspect because it makes them feel disconnected from what is going on, but.. seeing a priest offer Mass ad orientem reminds me, at least, that the focus is Christ's sacrifice for us.
I am 24 years old, a cradle Catholic. I used to be an altar server for the OF (which is a subject for another debate - should girls be altar servers at all?). I was raised attending Mass in the Ordinary Form (albeit much more traditional than some other places offer, I've learned). I continue to be involved in Church activities and attend an OF Mass in Athens (because the closest offering of Mass in EF - weekly, by the Grace of God - is in Columbus). Would I attend Mass in the EF all the time if it were offered closer to where I live? I'm not sure the answer to that... maybe. But, I am glad that Pope Benedict XVI gave priests the opportunity to offer the Tridentine Mass because without Summorum Pontificum, I might never have had the opportunity to witness Christ's sacrifice for us in this way. Attending a Latin Mass and discovering, in full, Christ's ultimate sacrifice has made me appreciate Mass in the OF that much more; that is, when Mass is offered with utmost reverence and respect.
Some OF Masses can be less reverent for me, personally, because something ultimately detracts my attention from the Divine - be it the musical selections, other people, etc. In some cases, I fear that Catholics today might be losing the sense of what Mass really is supposed to be. It's not a gathering to celebrate our fraternity and same beliefs. That is only one aspect of what it means to be Catholic, and that part should come outside of the Liturgy, in fact. No - Mass is supposed to be a reminder of Christ's crucifixion on Calvary, and I think Mass in the Extraordinary Form, thus far for me at least, has been the closest I've come to understanding the true meaning behind Mass.
Father Z talks about the Pope's Moto Propio more in depth here. A full text of the apostolic letter and the letter that the Pope wrote to accompany Summorum Pontificum are also available.
+JMJ+


No comments:
Post a Comment