Friday, October 29, 2010

Update on my crazy life...

Hello faithful readers! So much has been going in the time that has passed since I last posted! I hope to update the blog with one of my more thoughtful entries soon; but for the time being, here's a glance at what I've been up to over the past few weeks and what I'm preparing for in the next month:
  • I traveled to Gothenburg, Sweden to present at the Association of Internet Researchers Conference October 18-21. It was the 11th meeting of the conference, and the theme was Sustainability, Action, and Participation. I had two presentations there - one was based on a paper taken from my Masters thesis concerning Facebook stalking and the other was a panel presentation that focused on the beginning of my research in New Media Use and the Catholic Church. (I'll post another entry specifically on how the panel presentation was received soon.) My paper based on my Master's thesis took home the Top Student Paper Award. It was quite a successful trip!
  • I was also able to travel to Oslo, Norway to visit friends who have recently moved there while I was in Europe. While visiting, my friend Emil took me to St. Olav's Cathedral because he "knew I'd want to go" upon my arrival. It was a gorgeous church, and I got a couple of pictures from outside, but people seemed to be gathering inside (probably for Daily Mass) so I didn't get any interior shots. I will probably do a Roamin' Catholic entry on St. Olav's soon! It was so great to see Emil, Laura, and their three children (who all have adapted very well to the move from the USA to Norway). I miss them very much!
Here are some pictures from my trip:
Traveling buddies and me (I'm in the center) in front of Chalmers Technological University in Gothenburg, Sweden. This is where the conference was held.
I found a little piece of "home" in Gothenburg -- Charleston! (Or Charlston according to the Swedes)

Two of my most favorite kids ever in Vigeland Park in Oslo
My friend Emil and I down by the shore near the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo

Another one of my favorite kids - such a cutie!

My last day in Oslo with Laura and the kids (Emil's taking pictures) -- I miss this family!
In the coming weeks, I have various school projects to finish. We are entering the last two weeks of the quarter, and finals are only three weeks away. Between finishing the quarter and starting finals, I will travel to San Francisco, CA to present a paper at the National Communication Association's Annual Convention. This paper is an analysis of Pope Benedict's image as portrayed through photographs on one of my favorite blogs, American Papist. I will give a preliminary presentation to peers and professors here in Ohio next Friday to get feedback before the presentation in San Francisco, so that's exciting!

After traveling to California and completing final exams - I will finally be able to travel home to South Carolina for Thanksgiving with my own family who I miss dearly. I'm really close to them, and moving to Ohio for school was something they weren't expecting of me. They knew I'd go places, but when I actually did it, I think it was somewhat shocking! Of course, they've been behind me 100% since I began here in Fall 2008. I think this may be the longest amount of time we've gone without seeing each other - and I know with all of my travels, my parents have been on edge!

So.. that's a little glance at what I've been up to over the past couple of weeks. Things are incredibly busy, as always; but I'm here, just trying to let His grace flow through me in whatever ways possible!

Until next time, pax vobiscum!

+JMJ+

3 comments:

One Day at a Time said...

Wow, MCK! All of that is so awesome! I'm very impressed :) I am ashamed to admit I didn't even know you had gone to Europe....I'll have to facebook stalk you more often!

MCK said...

Haha thanks Ashleigh! My trip was pretty short (Monday 18 -Sunday 24), that's probably why you didn't realize it! But it was amazing - I wish I could have stayed longer, but the real world awaits, always.

Thanks for reading - I'll be updating (hopefully) more often as the quarter seems to be winding down!

FallonLatrece said...

I'm glad I finally get a chance to read about your trip to Europe! It sounds amazing. Glad your paper was well received. Looks like Emil, Laura, and kids are well.