Friday, August 19, 2011

Have a little faith in me...

This morning during Mass, the first reading (and Father's homily) really struck a chord within me. Here's an excerpt from today's reading, from the Book of Ruth:

[Naomi] then made ready to go back from the plateau of Moab because word reached her there that the LORD had visited his people and given them food. Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye, but Ruth stayed with her.
 

Naomi said, "See now! Your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and her god. Go back after your sister-in-law!" But Ruth said, "Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you! For wherever you go, I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge, your people shall be my people, and your God my God."

Thus it was that Naomi returned with the Moabite daughter-in-law, Ruth, who accompanied her back from the plateau of Moab... (Ruth 1: 6, 14-18)
Father's homily was about people who have had an impact on your faith development, much like Naomi's impact on her daughter-in-law, Ruth, who said those beautiful words "Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you! For wherever you go, I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge, your people shall be my people, and your God my God." However, in the full text from this first chapter of Ruth, her words continue:
"...Where you die I will die and there be buried. May the LORD do thus to me, and more, if even death separates me from you!"
The impact that Naomi has had on Ruth here is undeniably positive - Here we see that Ruth, a Moabite woman, a non-believer, has converted to the faith of Naomi, a Jew, presumably because of the way that she lives her life in accordance with her faith. At the end of his homily, Father left us to reflect on people who have had the same kind of impact that Naomi had on Ruth on our own lives, and so today, that's what I plan to do with this post!

People today rarely hear that they have had a positive impact on someone - so I wanted to take a moment to talk about the various ways in which my faith has been developed and deepened by some key people in my life:

It goes without saying that, as a cradle Catholic, my parents have been pillars of the faith and great examples for me to follow. My dad, a cradle Catholic, and my mom, a convert to the faith, made sure we were involved in Church activities seemingly from birth through high school! Active in our parish at home as catechists, musicians, and volunteers in various other roles, my parents made sure that my brother and I were steeped in the tradition that our beautiful faith offers from a very early age. They continue to be great rocks for me, my brother, and now my sister-in-law -- they are the truly the foundation of a great Catholic family.

My family at my brother's wedding - June 2011
When I was in high school, our parish was blessed by the appointment of Fr. Ed as our parish priest. Although he was only with us for about 16 months (a few of which were spent in Rome while he finished his degree in canon law), Fr. Ed really had a huge impact on my faith development. At the time, I was one of the few high school students active in my parish (which, in the south, already has a limited number of Catholics anyway - a topic for another post!). One of my greatest memories was that one day, while at lunch at our very public school, Fr. Ed walked in to the cafeteria and had lunch with our principal! Never before had a parish priest shown up at school! Visibility in the community for priests is something that I value very highly - putting a face on the priesthood, being able to identify with the priest is very important. Fr. Ed was really good at that - and he also had a relatively sarcastic sense of humor, which is a-okay in my book! We also compared notes (sometimes in the confessional before Confession!) about running/training for half marathons. His transfer to another parish closer to the Diocesan offices in Charleston was our parish's loss - but when I went to College, I was able to attend Masses at his new parish and occasionally had lunch meetings with him.

I borrowed this from Fr. Ed's new parish's website - this was with our Bishop at the celebration of his parishes 50th Anniversary
This brings me up to my move to Ohio - where I've become more involved in the parish life than I ever have before. There are numerous people here who have had an impact on who my faith -- in helping me to become the person I am today. My friends, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, challenge me to know more about my faith and to help spread the Word to anyone who will listen.
CSO Retreat - Winter 2009
But without a doubt, my organist friend is one of the most influential people I've met in my time here. In how she handles situations calmly, in how she interacts with her family - I wish to be like her (and my parents, of course) when (or if) the time comes for me to have my own family! And I know that she's had a positive impact on other people's lives as well - whether she knows it or not!

My Organist friend...playing the organ!
In various roles that I've taken on in the parishes in our town in Ohio, I've also gotten to know our priests here fairly well. As with most relationships, we are constantly getting to know more about one another -- and I've come to realize that I can lean on the priests here (and...they actually know who I am - as a young adult in a college town, it's easy to become just a number, much like our email addresses suggest...) if ever I should need anything. That's pretty comforting when you've moved miles away from the closest friends and family who know you best!

Some friends and our priest made the trip to support two other friends entering the Church through RCIA - Spring 2009
One of our priests just got here on July 1st so there haven't been many photo opportunities...yet. I left this little squirrel giftie in his jeep to show my appreciation for him and in "support" of his dislike for the rodents. This was the photographic evidence. RIP Mr. Squirrel. (Last I heard, his squeaker was silenced by the jowls of a wee pup.)

So... here you have it, a brief reflection on the people who, up to this point anyway, have left their faith marks on me like Naomi had on Ruth. I'm sure I've left people out (that's the problem you encounter when you start listing names! Oy!)...so may God remember and bless them as well!

I hope that at some point in my life, I have a shred of as much impact on others as these people have had on who I am as a person....

Until next time, friends...

+JMJ+

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good to know that efforts
are appreciated...
most people live and die without ever hearing words of thanks, no matter what they have done or tried to do for the benefit others. Whether we realize it or not, we are the ONLY examples of Catholic Christianity that many ever see...it is important to make sure the refection of our faith that we are giving is one that we would like to be emulated. YOU are definitely a good reflection.

organist friend said...

I am so touched by your kind words, MCK, and I treasure you as a friend and fellow Catholic. Your words are also encouraging to me since I tend to focus on how I could do things better, which in theory is healthy but can lead to discouragement.

I also give great kudos to your parents, because without their positive influence you wouldn't be the kind, thoughtful, wonderful lady you are today. And did I mention that you are hilarious?

Lastly, I am impressed that you actually did something that the priest suggested in his homily. :)

MCK said...

Thanks for visiting and leaving comments, Anonymous and Organist Friend!

Anonymous: You're very right about people not hearing words of appreciation enough. I think we all get so bogged down in what's happening "in the trenches" that we forget to truly appreciate what is around us all the time. Sadly, it's often taken-for-granted. And thanks for thinking I'm a good reflection - I try, but it's a daily battle...

O.F.: No problem! Every once in a while, people need to hear that they're making a difference. Positive reinforcement is the best motivation, I think! And yes! I've always wanted to carry out the suggestions we receive in homilies better, and I guess I was moved by the Holy Spirit to actually do something more public than just thinking about it this time around.

Anonymous said...

No need to wait until the eternities, MCK. Your life and faith in our Church and Lord truly has made all the difference in my life. Not only someone to which I feel accountable, but someone that loves our Lord as much (if not more) than I which is inspiration itself. When you feel as though you are a lonely candle flickering in the darkness, and then to see another light shining brightly, it shores up confidence and gives strength to carry on the mission of spreading that Light of Christ to others.

May our Lord and our Lady bless you always.

MCK said...

Thanks for your kind words, anonymous commenter! You're definitely right about spreading the Light of Christ to others: Down here it's so easy to become a lone candle flickering - social situations, classes, etc. etc. Knowing that there are other candles strategically placed throughout all walks of my life does indeed help to keep the flame burning. :)