Sunday, May 22, 2011

Apps for Neumes!

I learned over at Te Deum laudamus about a new app called iChant for Gregorian chant. If I had a smart phone, I would probably get this! It looks so cool! Here's what the iTunes page has to say about it:
Use it to learn the notes, teach it to others, remind yourself of the starting notes, and work with pianists, organists and other musicians. Tap the note to play the corresponding piano sound.
Pretty nifty eh? For those of you readers who don't know - I sing in the choir and cantor from time to time up here. In fact, you should check out my very good friend's blog (she happens to be our organist too) that has recordings of our modest choir. About two years ago when I started singing here, I had never seen or been exposed to neumes, those little square note guys that populate every Gregorian chant piece that's worth singing (bias coming through loud and clear much? heh). Learning how to sing/read neumes was quite the challenge! Here's an example of what a piece written with neumes (as opposed to more modern/standard notation) would look like:

Photo Credit: New Liturgical Movement

So! How about those developers over at Apple coming up with some nifty apps for Catholics?!

No comments: